Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Two Images of Myself in the Future

I took myself through a brain exercise to try to understand what I want out of life and how various careers can get me there. There is an interesting dynamic that I discovered that I thought was worth putting down here. This is just an exercise that I thought of myself, not a book or professional guided deal.

Basically I tried to imagine who I wanted to be when I'm successful. It really helps to have a clear personal definition of success for this, which I don't really have. Perhaps that is part of the problem, but nonetheless I attempted to go through with the exercise anyway. I created a mental image of what I will look like, the career path I have followed, and my general lifestyle choices.

Basically I come up with two utterly distinct images of myself, both of which I believe I am capable of. The first, and more traditional of the two, is a high powered executive. I'm not afraid to wear a suit to work everyday and having the ability to invoke strategy across a large business keeps my creative juices satisfied. This image comes with money, a fancy lifestyle, and work is the main focus of life. I certainly think that this could be exciting, but hesitate at the path that might need to be taken to get there and don't really know if I want to live my life in a business (my own or someone else's).

The second image focuses much more on lifestyle and a lot less on career. It is unclear how I stepped into the role, but based on the personality I've assigned myself it wouldn't really matter. This version of me has a grey pony tail and a tattoo sleeve on his left arm. He lives by the ocean and spends time enjoying life. Working is completely non-stressful and he doesn't care too much what people think of him. Money is not a major concern because, although it is much more limited, he just happily lives within his means.

I can tell you immediately that I'd be happier as the second guy. But I'm afraid that I have a drive to do and create things that may not be satisfied in that lifestyle. However, I have problems handling large amounts of stress which would clearly go right with the first guy. I'm sure that optimally I would be a hybrid of the two images, but it is hard to define where that is. The best I can come up with now is to aim to own my own business so that I can do what I want and act like the second guy with some of the good traits that come with the first. Then perhaps I can sell whatever business I would own (or at least no longer directly manage it) and move toward the relaxed lifestyle more.

2 comments:

  1. No one knows who they really want to be... at work they tell us to have a career plan for up to like 30 years. I think at most to plan 5 years, maybe only 3 years at a time. Steve Jobs had a great quote in his speech to Stanford students: You can't connect the dots looking forward, you can only connect the dots looking backward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, you certainly can't really know what the future holds and so planning out a career for thirty years would be quite a waste. But I still think deciding on the type of lifestyle you want is worthy to understand. Then I can treat it like a goal to work toward.

    ReplyDelete