Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Biking to Uganda

This past weekend I had a wild camping romp in the rain at Martinsville, VA. It was a great break from responsibility to reset my head a drive into the final section of the semester and job hunt. I came back exhausted yet mentally refreshed. I hit the ground running on Monday by applying for about 25 jobs online and writing a few emails to prospects that might land me a job.

Today I applied for several more jobs, but not with the fury of yesterday. I still consider it a success, because I cleared out several job types on Monster. Tomorrow I will look for additional jobs that are relevant on Monster before heading off to Careerbuilder, HotJobs, and Dice. I hope to hit all of the highly relevant job postings this week so that next week I can focus on niche job sites and direct company inquiries.

I had some time to kill today between classes and made great use of it. I've been carrying around a green speckled notebook in by backpack whenever I leave home in case business ideas strike me suddenly. However, I also use it just to put some things on paper that I don't want to hold in my head any longer. I suppose I got the idea from the movie 16 Blocks, where the one character wants to make cakes and keeps all his recipes in a similar notebook.

Anyways, I went through and properly analyzed revenue potential for my network of content sites that I've been brewing about. It certainly seems profitable, at least to a limit. Who wouldn't want an extra $10k per year? However, it will be interesting to see where that boundary is. I laid out a plan, with several options based on my employment situation following school, on how to create this network of sites using my own abilities and some freelance writers after some progress has been made.

My overly hopeful view has me making enough to not need a job after about two years with enough money left over to fund an ecommerce project or two. I didn't write a realistic view, because I think its necessary to set the bar high.

Dale was right in his comment about my last post; I need to keep a more positive outlook about my situation and accomplishments.

Oh yeah, I would have forgotten to mention it except I had already written it as my post title. I plan to Bike to Uganda tomorrow. Its a fund raising event I saw on campus today. They have about ten bikes on trainers counting miles. I think I'll head over there tomorrow and help them out for a half hour or so. I heard we're only barely behind UVA, so I'll do anything I can to beat those suckers!

No comments:

Post a Comment