Thursday, June 25, 2009

Can't Find a Job After Graduation? Start a Business!

Entrepreneurship as a fallback plan probably isn't how most businesses are started. However, in today's economy I'm sure that it is looking like the most viable option for a lot of unemployed recent graduates and unemployed professionals. When you scour the internet for interesting articles about start ups and advice, you don't hear entrepreneurs exclaim, "I was unemployed, so this was really my last option!" Generally, they developed a good idea, gave it a test run, and proceeded to drop out of the cubicle workforce.

Most of these "trial-method" entrepreneurs are self-driven and motivated enough to propel themselves and their business to at least a quasi successful state. But I think we're about to see a new trend of entrepreneurs that just don't have a better option. Starting a business without a day job is historically seen as too risky and too unstable for professionals with families and responsibilities. However, it's a lot less risky when you are completely without income. The worst that happens is you give it a good run and end up where you started with some extra stories to talk about in your next interview.

I know all this because it is exactly the situation that I'm in. Although I'm currently living with my parents so I don't go into massive debt, I can't seem to get a job for the life of me (even part-time, temporary, or night shift). I've been through the interview process at several companies so far with pretty good odds of landing each of the positions, but there seem to be too many people more qualified than I am. A lot of times when I discuss this with people I get the "oh, just keep trying and the right job will find you eventually." Unfortunately, that just doesn't seem to be how it works anymore.

I read an article this morning called Where Do You Rate on the Entrepreneurial Scale. I've been pondering it ever since. I would put myself at a 7 on this particular scale, because I have the drive and know-how to really go at a business, but have never truly done it. However, you could apply the same scale to your job seeking skills. A 1 being you post your resume on a couple job sites and update it each month (it would almost be hard to qualify you as 'looking' for a job, because really you're just waiting for a job). A 10 would be researching companies you want to work for and picketing outside their offices until someone gives you an interview (You're on the edge of insanity. Some would call you pushy; others would call you motivated). Seeking out positions you qualify for, crafting a matching resume, and not generally following up your applications would probably put you around a 4 or 5.

I get a different score on this scale. I would honestly be hard pressed to give myself more than a four. Although I'll go out of my way occasionally to ring someone for a job that truly excites me, I pretty much don't follow up my applications whatsoever. I'm sure there is some correlation to this score and my ability to get a job, but that is not the point.

The point, my very few readers, is if I get a better score on the entrepreneurship scale than the job seeker scale then shouldn't I be trying to start a business rather than going on an endless job search? Take this mental test and be honest with yourself. I know that when I really let the truth roll, starting a business is really where I want to be.

2 comments:

  1. Really, really interesting post Brad. Makes me think even more that Entrepreneurship needs to be presented as a career option when in college. Either as a major, as a series of classes within every major. Not as something you might be able to do after years of "corporate success"

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brad, you've got an AWESOME opportunity to skip a step and go straight to making money as an entrepreneur. Why do corporateprenership when you have a chance to go full entrepreneurship?

    Sometimes I wish (although I hope it NEVER comes true) that I would get fired from my job so it would eliminate the opportunity cost of doing full out entrepreneurship. You have no opportunity cost. Nothing to lose!

    ReplyDelete